Apricot Crostini with Caramelized Leek Goat Cheese
Broiling apricots gives them a beautiful bruleed top and softens the interior to jammy perfection. You can absolutely eat them on their own just like that, though this savory crostini with creamy whipped goat cheese blended with caramelized leeks is pretty remarkable too. It is the ideal simple summer appetizer… although we wouldn’t mind eating a few of these for breakfast either!
6 small apricots (about ½ pound), halved and pitted
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (½ lemon)
1 ½ teaspoons raw honey
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup thinly sliced leeks, white and light green parts only (1 medium leek)
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
½ teaspoon freshly cracked black peppercorns
4 ounces chevre goat cheese
12 slices sourdough baguette, cut on an angle into ½-inch-thick slices
- Preheat the broiler to high. Place an oven rack about 11 inches from the broiler.
- Arrange the apricots on a baking sheet, skin side down. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and honey until the honey dissolves. Drizzle the mixture evenly over the apricots. Broil the apricots until they start to soften, about 3 minutes. Rotate the pan in the oven and continue to broil until the tops turn golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes more. Remove the apricots from the oven and set aside.
- In a medium saute pan over medium-low heat, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the leeks, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until the leeks wilt and turn golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer the leeks to a food processor and add the goat cheese. Puree until the mixture is smooth, about 30 seconds. Set aside.
- Brush both sides of the baguette slices evenly with the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil, and arrange the slices on a medium baking sheet. Broil until they just barely begin to toast, about 2 minutes. Rotate the pan and continue to broil until the crostini turn golden brown, about 1 minute more. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Evenly spread the goat cheese mixture on the crostini slices. Tear the apricots and arrange the pieces on the tops of each crostini. Transfer to a platter and serve immediately.
Copyright © 2023 Apricot Lane Farms. All rights reserved.